Eight tournament championships in one day. Nine games in 12 hours. Great plays. Walk-off wins. Timely hits. Extra innings. Stellar pitching. Home runs. The unexpected and the unpredictable. Staving off elimination – twice.
Championship Saturday was all this and more. The drama and excitement on Championship Saturday went above and beyond the usual. When the Majors Baseball Championship game ended about 10 PM, ZLL had eight new champions and eight runners up who played like champions.
- Majors Softball: The Hawkeyes overcame great odds by coming out of the elimination bracket and winning two games against the Crush in the double elimination tournament. The Hawkeyes won the first game 16-6 and won the second game 15-11.
- Majors Baseball: The Red Sox stormed to an early 4-0 lead over the Cardinals by virtue of two home runs. But the Cardinals charged back to tie the game – scoring 3 runs in the 5th and 2 in the sixth. Undaunted, the Red Sox scored the winning run in the bottom of the sixth to claim the Majors crown by a score of 6-5.
- Minors Softball: The Sycamores won 13-3 with a strong offensive show over the Wildcats.
- Minors AAA Baseball: Two underdogs, the Jays and the Rockies battled to the end, with the Jays hanging on for a 7-5 win.
- Minors AA Baseball: The Rays and Braves battled to a tie after 6 innings, and the Rays won 10-9 in 7 innings.
- Rookies Softball: The Blue Jays fought off a charge by the Power to win 12-6.
- Rookie 8 Baseball: The Red Wings out-slugged the Red Wings to win 23-13.
- Rookie 6/7 Baseball: The Scrappers came on strong late to down the Volcanoes 7-2.
Regardless of who won, the effort put forth by the teams in all divisions was impressive. The games are a terrific display of competition and good sportsmanship that form the foundation of Zionsville Little League.